The spirit of Thanksgiving is up in the air! Families are getting ready to prepare a good dinner to share with friends and family.
This morning while walking along Fairy Lake in Newmarket, I told my partner we should also do something special for the pupstars on Thanksgiving dinner. I wanted to make something different, not just a doggie cookie. I went around searching for ideas and this is the recipe I will be trying on this weekend.
I hope our boxers Mylo and Chico like the treats because although I am not a fan of cooking or baking, I am pretty excited about making this for my boys! Plus pumpkin has an great impact on digestive, urinary health and weight Loss. Read more about this at Care2 make a difference blog.
Pumpkin Cupcakes for Dogs
- 1 ¼ cup of flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 can of pumpkin puree (no spices, regular puree)
- 2 eggs
- **Optional chopped up bits of cooked bacon
1. Preheat oven to 325°. Combine all the dry ingredients in one bowl and mix well. 3. Combine eggs and pumpkin puree in a bowl until well mixed. Slowly add to the dry ingredients until mixed, but not over mixed. You can use a mixer, but hand stirring for this is just fine. 4. Bake for 45 minutes or until toothpick runs out dry. Cool before frosting.
Peanut Butter Bacon Icing for Dog
- 3 egg whites
- 1 tbsp of meringue powder
- 1 jar of natural smooth peanut butter
- 1 package of bacon
1. Cook the bacon and allow to cool. Save all the grease in a cup in your fridge or freezer until chilled, white and pasty. 2. In a metal mixing bowl, over a pot of hot water, whisk the egg whites until frothy (about 5-7 minutes). Move to the mixer and beat until doubled in size. Add chilled bacon grease, powder and peanut butter in pieces. 3. Chop up the cooled off bacon and add. Voila! I saved some bacon pieces as a garnish.
To check out more recipes for dogs check out Orange You Hungry